2 Sep 2010 by Sonvir Singh Attri
1. Read some kind of English material every day. e.g. English magazine like India Today, Front Line and many more.
2. Make learning a habit. Try to learn new words everyday. It is much better to study 20-30 minutes each day than to study for 2 hours once a week.
3. Read aloud in English for 15-30 minutes everyday, it will help to improve your mouth muscles.
4. Listen, carefully, to English movies or speakers. Take note of the words/terms used. You might use them someday. It would be better if you have a booklet where you could list down the words among with their meaning and usage. Make sure you go back and read these words over and over till you start using them effectively.
5. Watch English movies with English subtitles on. This has many advantages. You will be able to compare the written words to the correct pronunciation. You will get a feel of how real English sentences are formed when speaking.
6. Make a list of frequently used words that you find difficult to pronounce. Records these words, listen to them and practice saying them.
7. Record your own voice and listen for pronunciation mistakes. It will help you become conscious of the mistakes you are making.
8. Listen to English music/songs. This will help you a lot. If you can’t understand the accent, take the lyrics which you can get by searching at Google.co.in.
9. One of the most common mistakes that English learners make is, they think in their mother tongue. Whenever they want to say something in English, they think in their mother tongue, translate it to English and then say it in English. If you want to speak in English fluently you will have to learn to think in English.
10. To help you with your English, you could get yourself an English Learning Kit or English Learning Software like Café English.
11. Talk to friends who are also learning English. Go out together and only speak in English to each other.
12. The most important thing, Stop thinking that you can’t speak English. You can.
• Focus on removing the mother tongue influence.
• Watch the English News on television channels like Star World, BBC, CNN, and English Movies on Star Movies and HBO.
• Listen to and sing English songs.